Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Well Fed Wednesday- Sausages and Peppers



I think I've hit the jackpot on this one.  Sausage and Peppers, like you would see on "GoodFellas."  This one turned out pretty damn good, and I ate on it for four days afterward.  I can't remember where I found the recipe, so I will act like it is mine alone.  It's not.  Plus I changed some shit up to make it mine. 

I followed the recipe as listed, with a few changes.  I added two extra garlic cloves, and I swapped chicken sausage for the turkey.  Turkey should be eaten in Thanksgiving form or on a sandwich, not made into something like sausage, or God forbid, a turkey burger.  I'd rather have a pork enema than eat a turkey burger.  I put mine on a lovely little bun called a "bollino."  The wife used pasta.  Here it is- cook it up.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
  • 2 red bell peppers, sliced
  • 2 yellow onions, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 cup Marsala wine
  • 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
  • 4 to 6 fresh Italian sandwich rolls, optional

Directions

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain.


Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.

Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the Marsala wine, tomatoes, and chili flakes. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer.


Cut the sausages into 4 to 6 pieces each, about 1-inch cubes. Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.


Serve in bowls. Or, if serving as a sandwich, split the rolls in half lengthwise. Hollow out the bread from the bottom side of each roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill the bottom half of the roll with sausage mixture. Top and serve sandwiches immediately. 

This is 20 minutes of prep, tops.  

Cook it up,

Mr. French

3 comments:

  1. love the glass you beer is in...
    I will have to try this, and with chicken. I might try with couscous
    xx callie

    ps I agree about the turkey! and turkey burgers, if I wanted to eat something that tasted like sawdust. Well, I'd eat sawdust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know about CycloCross Crusade (the beer glass)? It is surely a post of its own. I race not for victory, but to enjoy the spectacle that is Portland Cyclocross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, the beauty that is red bell pepper - it makes almost anything (except turkey burgers) wonderful. i like to cook the peppers and serve them as the relish on a sausage dog (not the dachshund of course)

    ReplyDelete